top of page

Jarvis Penalty Secures Semi Spot

Rangers will play in the Semi Finals of this years chairmans challenge cup after overcoming Thame United Res on saturday. Extra time was needed as after 90 minutes the match was at deadlock.

The game had already been cancelled twice due to the poor weather and Saturday wasn't a great deal better. We did however get a match and those that braved the weather weren't left disappointed. Rangers got off to a perfect start and were ahead inside 10 minutes. Kyle Ellery was flattened on the left wing and a Sam Tyack free kick was eventually turned in by Ben Shurmer.

The home side were unable to make the lead and home advantage count. The wind was swirling and was disturbing both sides play. Eventually Rangers made one mistake too many and were made to pay. A Thame corner was not defended effectively and was eventually turned in.

At half time the sides were even, however, this was largely due to stand in Keeper John Mcateer.

After the interval Rangers seemed to have gained some composure and quickly gained the lead again. This time an incisive breakaway down the left saw Harry Peters cut inside and feed Lee Brooks to smash home from the angle of the box. 2-1!

The game now became very scrappy and the pitch was beginning to take its toll. Jack Robson, Joe Jarvis and James Keller went into the book for Rangers, whilst many Thame players began to become more and more frustrated as they searched for a way back into the game. And they were able to find an equaliser once more. Another set piece found Moreton's defence wanting and any one of 3 of the visitors could have headed in for 2-2.

As the end of the 90 minutes approached both sides hit the cross bar and could have won it. As it was they ended up having to do battle for 30 more minutes.

The newly installed manager Nick Timms roused his side once more and again they were able to go ahead. This time pressure in and around the Thame goal was rewarded when Sam Tyack was tripped and brought down for a penalty. He rolled the ball to Jarvis who smashed home for 3-2. Surely this would be enough to win the game!

It was, Thame huffed and puffed, however, the home sides fitness showed through and in the end could have won 6-2. The visitors were reduced to 10 men when a deliberate hand ball was met with a second yellow card. Many feel he was lucky to last that long!

Overall Nick Timms will be delighted with his sides resolve, character and will to win the tie. We now await the semi final draw!!

Featured Posts
Check back soon
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Classic
  • Twitter Classic
bottom of page